A classic fall favorite with a twist!
Where would we be without pumpkins? We wouldn’t have a fun canvas for our scary monster faces, or deliciously, creamy pie or….Gasp! No Pumpkin Spice Lattes!!!!! Thankfully, we don’t have to live in a world without pumpkins, and there are so many ways to honor our love for pumpkins. These cute little Pumpkin Pots are the perfect decoration for your home or office, and will last well after you’ve consumed that latte and pie!
What you need:
Terracotta pot and corresponding lid/bottom
Acrylic paint in cream, orange and brown
Adhesive (such as Weldbond or E6000 Glue)
Wooden knobs or wine corks
Coiled floral wire
- Paint your terracotta pots and lids with a rough layer of cream paint. You don’t have to make sure there is complete coverage as you’ll be painting over the cream…this is just for layering for later on in the process!
- Once dry, paint your terracotta pots and lids with your orange acrylic paint (use Metallic Orange paint for some pizzazz). You might have to paint a few layers (allowing them to dry in between) to get the coverage you’re looking for.
- While your pots are drying, paint your small wooden knobs with brown acrylic paint and let dry. Don’t have wooden knobs? Use a wine cork instead.
- Once lids, pots and knobs are dry, you’ll want to glue your wooden knob in the middle of the “bottom” of the lid. For this craft we’ll be inverting the terracotta lids to act as actual jar lids. Let that glue dry.
- Now comes the fun part! “Rough up” the jar with a little piece of sand paper. I think distressing painted jars always adds fun and character! And because we painted on a cream base first, you’ll see those edges and areas really highlighted.
- Last but not least, once the knob is firmly affixed to the top of the lid, cut a length of coiled floral wire and twist around your finger to add a little curly stem to the top of your jar. I simply wrapped the wire around the knob to hold in place.
- Fill with your favorite candy or fall potpourri.