The Benefits of Swimming
It’s no secret that we think swimming pools are amazing, and it’s no wonder since your swimming pool is a great place to entertain with friends or relax after a stressful day. However, did you know that your swimming pool also gives you access to one of the best ways to stay fit and healthy all summer long?
Swimming is an amazing full body, low intensity workout, and there are so many different styles of swimming that you won’t ever get bored. There are also a ton of benefits to swimming, just look at our list here!
- Easy on your joints: whether you are 18 or 80 your joints feel the wear and tear of daily activities. Swimming has such a low impact on your joints that you can enjoy a high intensity, full body workout without feeling all of your body’s aches and pains.
- Great for your lungs: I know what you’re thinking, how can having my face in the water help my lungs? Well your lungs need oxygen, and water just so happens to be made up of two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen (H2O). So when your face is under water, your body more efficiently adapts to the use of oxygen. This means that when you breathe fresh air, you are taking in more oxygen and expelling more carbon dioxide. However please don’t drink the pool water, that’s just gross.
- Runner Advantage: Swimming is a great cross-fit activity if you are a runner. Since you are more effectively using oxygen, your endurance capacity is thru the roof. You will be able to better control your breathing and run even faster.
- Anyone Can Do It: Literally Anyone! Whether you are injured, pregnant, old or young, you can get a great workout from swimming. The beauty of swimming is that you control the pace, intensity and time of your workout, making it the perfect exercise.
- Reduce Stress: Any exercise will reduce your stress levels, but swimming has an added benefit. When we exercise our bodies are constantly bombarded by sensory information such as noise, touch and sight. Water is a natural muffler to those sensory distractions, leaving you in a calm and stress-free state.